813CAReCarrollwood Against Rezoning
YOU MAY CUT AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT INTO AN E-MAIL ADDRESSED TO THE FOLLOWING IDs:
DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE THE "NAME AND ADDRESS" LINES AT THE END OF THE LETTER AND COPY [email protected] :
I am writing to express my opposition to zoning request MM 12-0336 which would allow a Wal-Mart and Wawa Convenience store to be built on the corner of Floyd Road and North Dale Mabry Hwy. Placing this type of heavy commercial traffic on this corner and creating a new intersection will completely erode the fabric of one of Tampa’s best communities, Original Carrollwood, for the following reasons:
- You got it right the third time. Two previous zoning requests of greater intensity have been denied by you as they were deemed too intensive for the property. Nothing of substance has changed to negate the previous decisions and I want you to honor the existing zoning status. The existing zoning will enhance Carrollwood while the current application is destructive. You got it right then; please do not make a mistake now.
- Traffic is already a nightmare. The increased congestion created by this shopping center will result in an even greater traffic nightmare for Carrollwood residents and county commuters. This segment of Dale Mabry Hwy is already rated as a failed roadway. Adding yet another traffic light and stacking traffic will only generate more congestion, frustration and aggressive driving behavior on N. Dale Mabry.
- You have already spent millions on calming. You have spent many hours and millions of dollars on traffic calming issues in the surrounding communities in direct reaction to cut through traffic. Opening up Floyd Road on the east side of Dale Mabry is creating even greater cut through problems on BOTH sides of the highway for residential communities that are NOT DESIGNED to handle intensive traffic patterns. This application will create ~10,000 more trips daily.
- The project is inconsistent with the surrounding community. There is nothing of the intensity of this proposed development next to residential in Carrollwood as the community is NOT DESIGNED to handle this level of intensity
- It does not fit the Comprehensive Plan. This request flies in the face of the comprehensive plan that you worked with the community to design and implement.
- It creates poverty level jobs that are not good for the County. The currently approved land use will create jobs that pay well - far better than the below subsistence wages of Walmart. They pay on average 15% below the market with many of their employees requiring government assistance through Medicaid, WIC and food stamps. These jobs HURT Hillsborough County not help.
- Over 3,000 residents have already said NO to this proposed rezoning. The role of government is first and foremost to protect its citizens from harm. This proposal will most certainly harm the community.
YOU ALREADY HAVE IT RIGHT with the current approved zoning. Carrollwood wants to see this property developed in a way that is consistent with the community and will enhance the quality of life for its citizens. VOTE NO TO MM 12-0336 and honor your commitment to being the voice of your constituents.Sincerely,